Karis Roofing is a 90 year old roofing company located here in Philadelphia. It’s fair to say that they have seen a thing or two (cue Farmer’s jingle). Here is a message written by Guy Karis shared in his Trade News about the outlook of Metal Roofing.
The prediction that metal roofing will replace shingles may be bold, but it’s not without some data to back it up. Metal Roofing Magazine recently published in their October / November edition these facts:
- Total market share of retrofit metal roofing gained another 3 points last year, moving from 11% in 2015, to 14% is 2016
- Between 2015 and 2016, the total demand for metal roofing is estimated to have increased from 17.7 million squares to 19.4 million
- Metal roofing is 2nd only to asphalt shingle roofing in the remodeling market
- In 1998, the metal roofing market was just 3.7%
- The industry has seen increases in the following markets: New England (+3%), Mid Atlantic (+8%), East North Central (+4%), Pacific (+8%)
- Asphalt had a 64% market share in 2015, and is now just 59%
Metal roofs have many advantages that include being eco-friendly, energy efficient, longevity, and flat out being cool looking. Sitting in this seat, we hear from contractors every day who are looking to expand their knowledge and focus their business on getting more metal work. Will it replace the low cost alternative of asphalt shingles? Not entirely in the near term, but the trend is positive.